How we create value
By executing on our strategy and delivering on our purpose, we create value for our business and improve the lives of millions of people around the world.
Deliver transformative innovation
- 9.5 bn Investment in R&D
- 160+ Pipeline projects in clinical development
- 20 000+ Employees in research and development
Embrace operational excellence
- 53 Novartis manufacturing facilities
- 12 064 Suppliers risk-assessed
- 9.8 m Energy use in gigajoules (on site and purchased)
Go big on data and digital
- 2 700+ Clinical trials spanning two decades available on our data analytics platform
- 3 000+ Clinical trial participants referred via an online enrollment portal
- 16 000 Employees using a learning platform to enhance their digital skills
Unleash the power of our people
- 108 514 Headcount
- 52.1 Annual training hours per (internal) employee
- 5 000 Leaders taking “unbossed” training
Build trust with society
- 98% Employees trained on Code of Ethics
- 31 Emerging market brands launched in 2021
- 122 Countries with Novartis Global Health1 medicines on the ground
For patients and healthcare professionals
- 766 m Patients reached with Novartis medicines
- 21 Major approvals (US, EU, Japan, China)
- 3 Breakthrough therapy designations from the US Food and Drug Administration
- 85% Treatments in development with the potential to be first in class or first in a specific indication
- 51.6 bn Net sales (USD)
- 24.0 bn Net income (USD)
- 7.4 bn Total dividends paid (USD)
- 22.2% Total shareholder return (2019-2021)
- 46% Women in management
- 78 Engagement score in Q4 (out of 100), 5 points higher than the industry benchmark
- 4 632 Employees taking paid parental leave
- 0.13 Lost-time injury and illness rate (per 200 000 hours worked)
- 1 bn Antimalarial treatments delivered since 1999, most supplied without profit
- 56.2 m Patients reached through access-to-medicine approaches
- -34% Reduction in greenhouse gas emissions vs. 2016 baseline (Scope 1 and Scope 2)
- -40% Reduction in water consumption vs. 2016 baseline
This infographic is informed by the Integrated Reporting Framework of the Value Reporting Foundation.
1 The Novartis Global Health unit focuses on transforming health in low- and middle-income countries.
Social, environmental and economic impact
Our medicines positively impact society by improving and extending the lives of hundreds of millions of people around the world. Through our business, we also create jobs and contribute to employee development – both in our own operations and across our supply chain. At the same time, our business impacts the environment through carbon emissions, water use and waste. For more information on how we assess the impact of our business on society, please see the section “Measuring and valuing our impact.”
Contributing to the UN SDGs
We are committed to supporting the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). An analysis by Trucost, a third-party sustainability data provider, showed that our most significant positive impact is on goal 3 (good health and well-being), which aligns closely with our purpose.
We also positively impact goal 8 (decent work and economic growth), goal 9 (industry, innovation and infrastructure) and goal 10 (reduced inequalities) through our business and operations, including our efforts to expand access to our medicines. Through our environmental targets, we contribute to goal 6 (clean water and sanitation), goal 7 (affordable and clean energy) and goal 13 (climate action).
The GRI Content Index of this report contains a mapping of our activities against the SDGs.